Home' South Gippsland Sentinel-Times : January 24, 2017 Edition Contents THE SOUTH GIPPSLAND SENTINEL-TIMES, TUESDAY, JANUARY 24, 2017 - PAGE 11
137-139 Graham Street,
Wonthaggi % 5672 1485
l Cash or card only - No laybys
Full services have resumed at the Grantville Medical Centre. Appointments
are available with Dr Beikaee and Dr Mariajoseph.
Mon - Fri
9am - 4.30pm
(Closed daily over the lunch period. Wednesday closes at 1pm)
Dr G Mariajoseph MBBS, FRACGP
Dr N Beikaee MD
Dr B Clark MBBS, FACRRM, DRANZCOG (Adv), DA
All normal consultations for Pensioners, Health Care Card Holders and
children under 16 are Bulk Billed. Procedures are privately billed to recover
associated medical supplies costs.
42 Murray St, Wonthaggi
25 a'Beckett St, Inverloch
2/1524 Bass Hwy, Grantville
Bass Coast Health - Central Suites
GRANTVILLE MEDICAL CENTRE
2-3/1524 Bass Highway, Grantville
Appointments Tel: 5678 8029
Accredited by GPA to the Royal Australian
College of General Practice Standards
Dorevitch Pathology collection Monday, Wednesday and
Friday between 9am to 12 noon
The biggest and best craft markets
Over 200 stalls around the oval at
January 29, 2017
No dogs allowed
THE nightmare continued in the Korum-
burra Magistrates’ Court earlier this month for
a former Wimbledon Heights couple who were
found to be at fault in the burning down of their
own rental property and extensively damaging
the house next door.
However, despite causing $230,000 in dam-
age to the house they were living in, to the point
where it had to be demolished, the couple
wasn’t required to pay restitution for the dam-
age to their house or the neighbours.
Instead, William Ross 41 and Sarah Hall 42,
now of Stratford were placed on community
work orders under which they must each do
100 hours of community work over the next 12
The trouble started at 1.30pm on Christmas
Day in 2015, a Total Fire Ban day.
Despite the restrictions, the couple lit their
second-hand Weber barbecue, using paper,
wood and ultimately heat beads, to cook Christ-
mas dinner on a first floor, timber balcony.
They put the meat in to cook, closed the lid
and then went about the rest of the prepara-
tions for the day.
Two hours later, however, they noticed smoke
coming from the ground floor, according to the
fire investigation report, where cinders from
the barbecue had fallen on to a cushion.
A tray needed to catch ash from the barbecue
Having dealt with the initial smoke problem,
Mr Ross returned at 3.50pm and lifted the
lid only to find that, again, there was smoke
coming from the first floor, under the balcony,
where the vinyl couch was on fire.
He ran downstairs to get a bucket of water
but it didn’t extinguish the blaze and he told his
partner to call Triple Zero.
However, by the time the CFA attended, the
house was well alight and spreading to the ad-
The police prosecutor said that while the
maximum temperature on the day only went
to 32 degrees, there was a strong north-west-
erly wind blowing, gusting up to 65km/h which
fanned the flames.
Not only was the rental house completely de-
stroyed but the house next door was also exten-
Mr Ross and Mrs Hall lost all their posses-
sions in the blaze, and so too did the man next
door, who had no contents insurance.
He supplied a list of damages totalling
$11,400 to police for the loss of various items
however Magistrate Steven Raleigh declined to
allow the claim as no quote for the cost of re-
placing the equipment was submitted.
And he also took issue with the couple’s law-
yer, Deb Leonard, that it was ‘a truly tragic cir-
“People I know were planning to do some-
thing on that day but decided they couldn’t after
checking that it was a Total Fire Ban day.
He said the accused were fortunate not to be
up on reckless conduct charges as there were
also children present at the time.
Ms Leonard took issue with the report from
the CFA that cinders had started the fire, claim-
ing the couple took precautions by hosing down
the deck beforehand and the fire actually start-
ed after they took the meal off the barbecue and
placed in on the vinyl couch which melted.
“It was heat from the plate which started the
fire,” Ms Leonard claimed as her instructions.
“That’s totally unbelievable,” Mr Raleigh said.
He said that the CFA report noted that the
lower vent on the barbecue was unable to catch
With nowhere to live and no possessions, the
couple were provided with emergency housing
for four months but ultimately had to leave the
area to get permanent accommodation.
Magistrate Raleigh handed down community
work orders of 100 hours each but warned that
any breach could result in jail.
Two houses burnt down
over Christmas dinner
THE danger of faulty or poorly fitted gas cyl-
inders was highlighted last Thursday, January
19 after a 45 year-old woman was injured and
airlifted to the Alfred Hospital’s Burns Unit in a
Gippsland District 9 Operations Officer, Si-
mon Bloink, said the visitors had attempted
to change over gas cylinders at the Walkerville
Caravan Park when it exploded early in the
A paramedic, who was holidaying in Walker-
ville, was able to provide immediate first aid
while quick work from the Tarwin Lower and
District and Fish Creek and District fire bri-
gades stopped the fire from spreading through
the grass towards Cape Liptrap Coastal Park.
The campervan was completely destroyed in
Mr Bloink said it appeared faulty gas equip-
ment caused the gas to escape and then ignite.
He said it was a stern reminder to all to check
their gas cylinders on campervans, caravans
and barbecues, especially in the lead-up to the
Australia Day weekend.
“Everyone needs to remember to check the
safety of their barbecue, not only at the start
of summer, but every time they use it,” he said.
“Gas cylinders can be very dangerous, so it’s
important they are stored, serviced, and used
“And as you can see from this instance, it’s
equally as important to also ensure all connec-
tions are firm and secure.”
You can do this by:
• Checking the connections to make sure
they’re secure and firm
• Listening for any leaks
• Spraying or painting on the connection
some soapy water - if bubbles appear, there’s
Walkerville victim airlifted
after gas explosion
WORSHIPFUL Brother Ken Barnes, of Powlett Masonic Lodge, congratulating Gavin
Slavin the winner of the rocking horse raffled by the lodge to raise funds to provide
equipment for the palliative care section of the Wonthaggi Hospital.
The raffle together with a function hosted by Ken and his wife, on Cup Day last year,
has so far raised more than $1500 towards this project.
Got the hospital rock’in
Links Archive January 17, 2017 Edition January 31, 2017 Edition Navigation Previous Page Next Page